Dec 19, 2013

Life in Adelaide

Three days have already passed since I arrived in Adelaide, which is located in South Australia. This city is really beautiful and quiet. I can't believe more than a million people live here. 

As Adelaide is not a popular city for working holiday makers, there are much less Asian people than Auckland. When I walk around the city, those who I can see are almost Australian and a few of Chinese. When I first arrived in YHA where I am staying, I was disappointed because a Japanese couple was checking-in in front of me and another Japanese couple was waiting for checking in behind me. The reason I came to Adelaide is that I wanted to avoid this situation! But nothing wrong with that. It is natural that some Japanese are in YHA. I shouldn't feel bad about that. I shouldn't think about avoiding Japanese too much. Funny enough, though, I haven't seen Japanese here after that time. As I wrote above, the city is full of Australian and Chinese. 

This should have been what I desired. I wanted to be surrounded by native English speakers so that I can improve my English skills. But now, no matter how many Australian are there, I can't communicate with them because they speak so fast, maybe faster than New Zealanders. I strongly feel being away from them. In addition to that, I have no one I can rely on. I need to arrange everything all by myself. Moreover it is too hot here to think calmly. This climate is nothing like Auckland. It was so hard that I was kind of depressed these days. I became to think that it is very difficult to find a job here due to a lack of my English skills and these tough situations.

In line with this, I finally decided to do fruits picking job which will allow me to have a right to apply for a second working holiday visa as long as I do it for more than three months. Since I don't plan to get a second visa, I may not do it for more than three months. I just wanted to experience a seasonal job because I haven't done fruit picking before. This will be the first experience for me. I've heard that this job is not good for money even though it is tough. But at least I can make some money. What I need the most is to experience something new and get a opportunity to communicate with some people. I get really nervous when I think about following months, but I hope it will be all right. I am supposed to leave Adelaide on 24th December. It seems to be too fast to decide to go to another place, but I have no choices other than that. I don't want to waste time and money. 

I will probably change my next plan. I was planning to go to Perth after staying Adelaide, but because of this situation, I may need to go to Melbourne or Sydney to get a decent job I can be satisfied. If I go to Perth I am totally not sure whether or not I can get a job. On the other hand, there must be lots of possibilities to find a job in the big cities I mentioned above. Either Cairns or Gold Coast would be good as well because these cities are popular places where a number of travelers visit.

Anyway my life in Australia has just started. Don't think too much. Be more optimistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment