May 6, 2013

Rotorua Marathon

On 4th of May, the challenging running race was held in Rotorua. It was almost sunny and an ideal temperature to run. I couldn't accomplish my objective which is to finish within four and a half hours. Except for that, however, I was pretty happy with the result because I broke my record and I never walked at least until crossing the finish line.

I started at 9.30am. I didn't expect that I got the urge to go to toilet as soon as I started. I had to go to early toilet at the 5km point. This was a really miscalculation and I lost roughly a minute.

15km point - I started to feel pain in my legs and I felt like to go to toilet again. I lost a minute as well.

20km point - I started to feel a lack of energy. I usually used to have got some bread or fruits during the race in Japan, but I could get only water and powerade in this race. Anyhow I drunk powerade a lot to keep energy.

30km point - Although my body was still complaining about pain, I managed to catch up with 4hr30min pacer who stuck the red ballons to be seen easily for the runners. To keep thinking mantra seemed to work well.

35km point -  I had my legs strongly hurt and the energy was no longer left. I couldn't find the 4hr30min pacer without even noticing. I tried to think mantra again, but it didn't work.

37km point - I got overtaken by the pacers who stuck the black ballons. I stared at their back and I realized they were running with 4hr45min pace. This was the time of my first marathon two and a half years ago. I really didn't want to lose it, though, my body no longer worked well. The pacers who stuck black ballons moved further and further apart.

39km point - I was feeling merely suffered. I leant forward and got out of breath. I ran with a slight limp. But I never walked. I realized that I couldn't finish within 4.30 any more, but I wanted to break my record 4.45 at least. So I decided to increase my pace again.

40km point - At last I catched 4.45 pacers and overtook them. I managed to run faster because I would be relieved after just 2km running.

Goal - I felt 2km was so long. Was it a really 2km way? I complaint in my heart. Anyway, I finished my first marathon in overseas. The time was 4:40:53. I was glad to be called my name at the moment I crossed the finish line. I was absolutely exhausted and especially I felt strongly pain in my legs. I recieved a bottle of powerade and I drunk it down. I stretched my mustles quickly and I went to Polynesian Spa to be relaxed. All I wanted to do was going to spa. It was awesome.

Actually my body wasn't ready to complete full marathon. I need more practice to finish easier and faster. When I'm running the marathon, I always feel that I don't want to participate in such a suffering race. After going home, however, I am thinking about next race. Accomplishment has special meaning for me, and I can't stop running any more. I hope I will be fitter and stronger than previous myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment