Apr 26, 2013

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

Only a week is left for Rotorua Marathon.I think my training has done well so far. All I should do is getting myself into a good condition. I don't need to run a long distance any more. I just have to stretch my mustles and take a rest.

My objectives are...
 *Finishing under four and a half hours
 *Finishing without walking

I wouldn't accomplish them if I didn't think positively during the race. I think mentality is as important as physicality. I like following proverb, quoted from one book, which a marathon runner repeated like a mantra.

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

This phrase means that the hurt is unavoidable reality, but whether or not you can stand any more is up to yourself. Although I don't know who said these words, I really feel sympathy to this phrase. This seems to be one of the best suited phrase whenever I feel pain physically or mentally.

Anyway, I may think about and repeat it again and again in my head during the race.
 - Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -

No comments:

Post a Comment