Aug 20, 2013

Coromandel trip 2

On 16th Aug, what we did was bone carving which is Maori’s traditional art craft. The workshop centre was located in Whitianga and we were explained how to carve bone there. Maori has many shapes of carved bone and every one of them has different meanings. There were three types of patterns we could choose from at that time. I chose Koru, which has spiral shape and it seems to be a symbol of peace, growth, new life and tranquility.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

The carving itself was not that difficult and everyone can do easily because the carving equipment were already prepared and the three of staffs were very kind and taught us how to do that and check how we did in every stages. It took approximately two and a half hours to complete, though it would take much less time if there were a few people.


It was really nice experience and I was glad when I completed and picked up the bone pendant I carved. It must be a great souvenir.  

After the bone carving, we had fish & chips on the beach near the workshop centre. The rest of the plan of the trip was just going back to Auckland. I thought it was so early that I was a little bit unsatisfied. I wanted to go to hot water beach and we had enough time to visit there. I don’t know why the tour guide set off to Auckland as soon as finished bone carving, but I have to thank them to drive safely during the trip. Anyway, we arrived in Auckland around 3.00pm and we went home then.

That was pretty much about our school trip. Time went so fast and I could have a wonderful experience. The graduation from the school is coming soon. I want to go through a more variety of things not to regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment